Monday, September 7, 2009

Two for the Price of One!

Well, I know it’s been a while since I have updated the blog, but I figured now would be as good of a time as any. You’ll be excited to know that several interesting events have occurred since last Thursday! Some of these events included: serious birthday celebrations, sushi eating, serious cigar smoking, and last but not least, new dishwasher buying!

On Thursday night I spent some serious time making lovely cupcakes for Andrew’s early birthday celebrations (which we had decided would start on Thursday and end on Sunday, ha!) Andrew had been talking a lot about Bombay Sapphire and how it made the best martinis ever. In light of this, I bought Andrew a Boston, two martini glasses, and some Bombay Sapphire! Needless to say it was a great night!

Because Friday was the Rocky Patel event, we decided we’d take it easy before the event. Once we got there, Mark was there once again, and this time he was offering some awesome free deals. We bought SEVERAL RP cigars…and Andrew bought me an Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. He said “because you were a literature major, you should definitely have this cigar,” and believe me, I couldn’t agree more! (I’m allowing my Hemingway to sit in the humidor for a while, reviews to come soon.) Sadly, we didn’t win any of the free giveaways, but wow, we had a fantastic time.

What did we smoke?

I smoked a REAL Rocky Patel Edge (thanks babe!!) and Andrew smoked a RP Decade.

Rocky Patel Edge

Toro

Cost: $6.50

Place of Purchase: Boda Pipes

Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro

Filler: Nicaraguan-Honduran Ligero fillers

Smell: Bold natural scent

The experience:

Until now, I have only experienced faux Rocky Patel Edge cigars (factory seconds), but now that I have indulged in the actual Edge, there’s no turning back. The smooth draw allows for an intense flavor experience. This, accompanied with hearty aromas, makes the Edge incomparable to any other cigar (any that I’ve had thus far). The edge is a genial cigar that offers great depth for anyone’s palate. The aroma, taste, oily perfectly textured touch of the wrapper, and scent are all exceptional. For the lover of a medium to full bodied cigar, this is definitely a winner.

Beyond the review I’d like to take a few lines to explain why I love the Edge so much. While its outer appearance is elegant, and it tastes great, the Edge offers a great experience not only to cigar elites, but to the everyday “Joe.” When browsing in Boda’s humidor on Friday, I noticed that so many cigars were covered in fancy wrappers and encased in very visually stimulating boxes. Sometimes these fancy items can scream “EXPENSIVE.” When one looks at the Edge he sees a simple, yet handsome cigar. In closing, although lacking external fancies, the Edge speaks volumes through its flavors.


Rocky Patel Decade

Robusto

Cost: $9.99

Place of Purchase: Boda’s

Wrapper: Ecuadorian

Filler: Honduran

Smell: Gentle, smooth smelling earthy characteristics

Well… I probably shouldn’t have been smoking this cigar at nearly the same time as The Edge, because they are VERY different cigars. The Decade is a very mild cigar; it doesn’t pack much punch. It’s delicate, draws nicely, easily fits in one’s hand, and is visually appealing. However, it pales in comparison with The Edge. Please note that this is strictly my opinion, as I tend to lean more towards full-bodied cigars. As typical of many Rocky Patel cigars, The Decade possessed light, airy earth tones, accompanied by nutty (almost chestnut) flavors. While the flavors were present, they were definitely not bold. Sadly, when I placed the cigar in to a cigar ashtray, because the cigar is box pressed, it did not fit well and repeatedly fell. . Perhaps someone could suggest an ashtray suited better for box pressed cigars?

Other random news:

I bought a new cutter at Boda’s. Considering I almost chopped off my finger using Andrew’s double bladed cutter, I thought it best that I acquire a scissor cutter! It’s great!

Our dishwasher broke on Sunday (Andrew’s birthday, happy birthday to him!) so we went and bought one on Monday.

Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment