Tuesday, September 1, 2009

And again

Since Andrew and I were fortunate enough to attend the Rocky Patel sale at Outman's on Friday, we are definitely taking advantage of the loot we made out with! On today's menu it's: RP Vintage 1990 and 1992.

RP Vintage 1990

Robusto
Cost: $8.30

Place of Purchase: Outman's
Wrapper: 12 year old Honduran Broadleaf Maduro wrapper (Box press)
Filler: 7 year old filler and binder
Smell:More mild than the '92, sweet, intoxicating smell

and


RP Vintage 1992
Robusto

Cost: $8.30
Place of Purchase: Outman's
Wrapper: 10 year old Ecuadorian Sumatra Wrapper (Box press)
Filler: 7 year old filler and binder
Smell: Stout earth smell


First of all, I'd just like to say that Rocky excels in the cigar semblance department. When Andrew and I were speaking with the RP rep on Saturday, he made us aware that RP employs an individual to examine the outside of the cigars to match each cigar in the box by color. Clearly, it's only the best for Rocky Patel.

The Vintage 1990 and 1992 are extremely different cigars. Based on smell alone I assumed the 1992 would be a medium to full-bodied cigar, but I was very wrong. The 1990, although a little more difficult to draw than the 1992, was sensuous, smooth, and sweet. Initially the cigar was a bit earthy tasting, but about a third of the way through, my patience paid off. Like many RP cigars, this cigar being no exception, there are complex flavors just waiting to be discovered with every inhale.

On to the 1992... both Andrew and I believe that we may have obtained a dud. Although we did try the punch method on this cigar, we did make sure that there were breaches in the extremity of the cigar. Because I had never had a 1992 before, I was unable to compare it to any other 1992's. However, Andrew had previously smoked a 1992, and was quite convinced there was something wrong with this cigar. The only thing I can say about this cigar is that it drew extremely easily, perhaps even too easily. In regards to taste, the cigar was boring and without character. I will, without a doubt, buy another Vintage 1992 to make certain my assessment is without error.

Thank you to everyone who subscribed to my Tweets and checked out my blog! I really appreciate all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment